Friday 30 April 2010

Of Customer Service, Ducks and Brand

Brand is one of those things, which if you get right is an enduring asset for the organisation and a dependable schema for the customer to consolidate their views of your product/organisation.
All the marketing best practice principles aside, if your brand manages to be emotionally charged as well, you have a winner. I am passionate about brands and just like everyone, have a few clear favorites. I do however love to analyse that little bit further, what makes a particular brand 'tick', what was the evolution of the thought process that the creative teams (at the associated Ad Agency) exercised, what might be the size of the target market who may experience the same affective association with the brand as I do...It's a stimulating intellectual workout.

Endless Fascination with Ducks
Having very lovingly observed and enjoyed the advertising work engaged by my phone company, I wanted to let them know of my appreciation. I also wanted a reward out of it. So (in a very British tradition) decided to write them a letter.

My Letter to the phone company (referred to as Telecom Provider X*)
Dear lovely people at Telecom Provider X,
just the other day, I realised that I have been a loyal Pay-monthly customer for a very long time. I thought I'll take this chance to commend you guys for your stellar customer service. Performance aspects aside, your service alone prompted my additional subscription to your Broadband. I also like all the branding stuff that's going on at Telecom Provider X. Especially those Adverts where you promise the customers 'treats'. You know, the one where all these bright, yellow, plastic ducks complete an arduous journey and arrive at a tranquil lake where people dip in and fish them out? Some of these ducks are fancy iPods and other delights. Now, I am not saying I want an iPhone for being so loyal to you and paying all my bills on time but don't I deserve some treats? Do you think I could be sent some promotional ducks?
My heart is set on them.
I am also willing to settle on a shiny new iPod Touch (as I currently lead a miserable life with my 8GB iPhone which is insufficient for my music) and may allow you to engrave it with 'From Telecom Provider X with Love'.

The good people at Telecom Provider X replied:
Good Morning Anupriya,
Thanks for getting in touch about promotional ducks. Anupriya, I'd like to inform you that these promotional ducks which you've seen in the advertisements are being promoted as surprises for Prepay customers. However, I've personally checked your account and can see that you're a loyal customer with us for a long time now so I've gone ahead and added a subscription discount of £10 for 3 months to your account. It will be effective from [dd/mm/yy]. I hope this'll bring a smile on your face.

Guess what, it most certainly did!
They really should have sent me some ducks as well though.

*The Telecommunications provider has been anonymised for obvious reasons.

No comments: